Wednesday, June 25, 2014 (appoximately 11:45 AM) — U.S. District Court Judge Richard L. Young ruled that Indiana’s discriminatory ban on marriage for same-sex couples is unconstitutional.
The judge did not issue a stay on the ruling. Same sex couples can start getting married immediately, according to reports.
Wednesday, June 25, 2014 (appoximately 5:00 PM) — State Attorney General Greg Zoeller has filed for a stay of the ruling.
Friday, June 27, 2014 (approximately 6:20 PM) -- 7th Circuit Court grants stay of ruling, pending appeal.
FairTalk is a grassroots group working to achieve full marriage equality for same-sex couples in Indiana by fostering respectful conversations between people on all sides of the issue.
We are currently working to defeat the proposal to write relationship discrimination into the Indiana constitution (HJR3). We hope you will join us in this fight.
Site Updates Coming Soon
FairTalk is broadening the focus of our efforts following the defeat of the two sentence HJR-3 and the delay that entailed in advancing an amendment to the Indiana constitution.
We remain committed to defeating any such discriminatory amendment and promoting marriage equality in Indiana. Our board has decided to refocus on equality, acceptance and recognition, i.e., social justice for LGBTQ individuals, across a wider range of range of issues. We are developing materials to specifically focus on areas like employment, public accommodations, bullying of LGBTQ youth in schools, adoption, minority stress as well as marriage equality.
Our strategy as always is to promote respectful conversations between people with different positions on these issues.
HJR3 / HJR6
- Federal Judge strikes down Michigan Same Sex Marriage Ban 3/22/2014
- HJR3 passes without second sentence. Will not go to popular vote in 2014. - 2/17/2014
- Senate declines to restore second sentence of HJR-3, eliminated by House. Amendment cannot go to popular vote in 2014 - 2/13/2014
- Judge rules Kentucky must recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states - 2/12/2014
- Federal Judge Declares Oklahoma Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional - 1/14/2014
- Judiciary Committee Hears Testimony from Both Sides, Delays Vote on Moving HJR-3 to Floor - 1/13/2014
- HJR6 Re-Introduced in 2014 Session as HJR3 - 1/9/2014
- Same Sex Marriage Briefly Legal in Utah, Legal, Political Battle Continuing
- New Mexico Supreme Court Rules Same-Sex Marriage Constitutional
- Illinois Passes Marriage Equality - 11/20/2013
- Hawaii Passes Marriage Equality - 11/12/2013
- New Jersey Supreme Court denies stay on Marriage Equality. Governor declares he will not appeal. - 10/21/2013